Monday, January 18, 2010

A Little Too Late

Most of my friends know that Brian McKnight is my favorite artist, there’s just something about his music and his choice of lyrics that reels me in. My boss and I were traveling between clients and this song comes on, “A Little Too Late”, immediately she says I like that song but just not the words. There are many times I like a song but the words don’t apply to my life so I don’t give the lyrics much thought I just enjoy the song for what it is. However, when the words do apply to you its more of an emotional experience; be it good or bad.

This song took me back to when I told my wife I wanted a divorce. Even as I type this I can feel the sentiment she expressed over the phone when she finally told me what I wanted to hear, feel and know for so many years. She said, “I love you Robert”. People often say it’s never too late but there can be a time when there is such a moment. When you want something for so long you become used to not getting it from the desired source, you may not be seeking it elsewhere but you know one thing for sure…it’s not coming from the place you need. It always seems as though when you’re finally fed up, the other party wants to wake up and do or say what you want. The problem is, is it really true or are they simply giving you lip service?

Don’t be that person in the relationship that ASSumes your partner knows how much you love them. You can’t take for granted that the person you’re with will always be there. We all have our own way of feeling loved and it should be your purpose to find out what it is that makes your partner feel loved and supply them with all they can stand. Too many times we make the mistake of letting our pride interfere with our emotions or as men feeling like just because we’re a man we can’t express ourselves. For that I say this, anything you “won’t” do someone else is willing to”. Don’t let someone else cherish your jewels.
If forever is what you want let it be known. I told a very close relative of mine just yesterday these very words… when you feel like you want to walk out of the door without telling your spouse you love them, catch yourself and don’t just tell them you love them but open your heart and add a hug and kiss to that…I dare you! People need to stop thinking that love is so much better on the other side and this other person is the real deal. Remember, when you meet someone initially they will always tell you what you want to hear. Just keep in mind that each relationship comes with its own unique set of problems and through love and communication; building a solid foundation based on trust and honesty, you can make a mountain out of a mole hill and overcome any obstacle that stands in your way.
Give them your love…Tell them you’re right where you want to be….Cherish the love the two of you have…Before they are gone!!! Don’t be the one living with regret.

Luv Doc!!

1 comment:

  1. Your words touch me. It's nice to hear a man real thoughts on how love should be...... I want to cry

    Unlimited

    ReplyDelete